Monday 24 September 2012

They're not Betty's, they're mine...



Scones have to be one of my favourite treats, whether for elevenses, afternoon tea or supper.  I have long wanted to have a go at making them, but have hesitated because of the fear that I would make a mess of these delicious bites.  I decided this could no longer hold me back; I mean, who ever heard of anyone being afraid of a little thing like a scone?!  Luckily, I could call on the superior baking knowledge of my friend Maud, who reliably advised me that the Betty’s recipe for scones is the best of those she has tried.

I had read in another recipe book of adding blueberries and lemon zest to scones, and could not resist giving it a try (although I know it may seem sacrilegious to think you could ever improve a Betty’s recipe!).

I often use visits from the parents as an opportunity to try out new recipes.  I’ve had no complaints yet as a result of casting them in the role of guinea-pigs for my culinary attempts!  I have to admit the scones were rather yummy, and they went down well with the Ps.  Using blueberries and lemon means there is no need for jam.  The lemon gives the scones a refreshing flavour and given that blueberries are a super-fruit, surely eating one of these scones must count as one of your five-a-day?

So I finally got up the courage to make scones, and even to put a little twist on them.  Not only were the results yummy, they've also given me a smidgen more confidence to be open to future adventures in the kitchen.

You can find the Betty’s recipe in their book A Year of Family Recipes.

The Great British Book of Baking contains a recipe for blueberry and lemon scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment